Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wild mushrooms





Chantarelle and Oyster mushrooms found on my walk yesterday.
It was my lucky day to stumble upon these gifts from the woods, I practically skipped home to spend the morning washing, cleaning, and every now and then, sniffing them. I was in mushroom heaven. All the while planning how to best use this windfall.
I settled on my old standby, I seem to always turn to this recipe when I have more mushrooms than I know what to do with. It's sinfully yummy, doubles easily and freezes well.
Wild mushrooms with garlic
1 TBS olive oil
1TBS butter
1 pound assorted wild mushrooms, shredded
3 large cloves of garlic, sliced
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
A dash of Maggi Sauce
Salt and pepper
Heat olive oil in a large, cast iron skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until slightly brown and not too dry. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add white wine and cook until evaporated, about 1 minute (at this point taste the mushrooms, if they’re not tender add a little water, continue to cook a little longer until done. Add cream and cilantro; stir until sauce coats mushrooms, about 1 minute, season to taste with salt, pepper and a dash of Maggie sauce. Serve on toast. Any leftovers can be folded inside an omelet, added to fried rice, or tossed with pasta. Makes 6 servings.

No comments: