Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Travelling Harvest

I'm getting ready to make my annual pilgrimage to see Mom and my seven siblings in Montpellier, in the south of France. As glamorous as that may sound, I don't feel all that glamorous. In fact, I feel more like a farmer going to the city with my goods, for here's what I plan to bring--

Almost 8 lbs of lemongrass

3 lbs of Maitake, courtesy of Krystyna, my mushroom connection. She keeps me supplied and safe.


A 12 foot row of Thai basil I plan to pick and take with me.

Why, you may wonder, am I lugging my harvest across the ocean? A little bit is insanity but mostly because I'm grateful to live in a place with rich fertile soil and where there's so much rain that mushrooms grow wild with abandon. Meanwhile, in Montpellier, there has not been a drop of rain since June and my mom's garden is parched and barren.

4 comments:

daya saraswati dasi said...

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!! take lots of pics - i want to see them:) be safe and bonjour to france for me... can't wait to see you when you return.
ps. the farmer can travel down with her goods to CT any time:):):):) xopeace, j

Ting said...

Thanks Jennifer, I'll be down with my goods in November.

Alejandra said...

crazy lady! traveling across the atlantic w/ garden veggies. will customs let you take these over? or are you going to do some smugglin?
Ale

Ting said...

No, not smuggling, perfectly ok to bring veggies into France, only the Americans have this restriction.