Monday, October 10, 2011

Harvesting Grapes in New Hampshire

Each October my Wayback friends (yes, we go way back) and I get together and volunteer for the grape harvest at Barnett Hill Vineyard in Walpole, NH. I'm just in awe of what it takes to run a vineyard...planting, trellising, pruning, tying, harvesting etc, not to mention the winemaking parts about crushing, tasting, bottling, aging and selling.

So about five years ago, when the call came seeking volunteers to help pick grapes, we didn't need much convincing and it has become our annual fall ritual.
Nylon netting over the grapes protect them from birds and wild turkeys.
Netting is removed just before we start picking.
Tools of the trade:  1.  Five-gallon buckets turned upside down to sit on.
2. Small plastic garbage bins to collect rotten or diseased plant materials,
no debris is left behind as this will encourage the spread of diseases.
3.  Special grape harvesting knives

Volunteers set out to do the picking

Picking and chatting over the grape vines
Thirty one varieties of grapes are grown here but on this day we're picking La Crescent, a white varietal,
which will become a fruity dessert wine.


Then we have lunch of homemade soup, freshly baked bread and, of course, wine.
The spectacular views bring us back year after year.

Virginia Carter, front right, is the owner, with the Waybacks.
The shop and tasting room, worth a trip from anywhere.

6 comments:

Amy D said...

Fantastic blog, Ting, lots of good information, great photos and it captures our day together beautifully!!
~Amy

HousiGirl said...

What a great way to spend the day w/friends!

Ting said...

Thank you Amy and HousieGirl, it was a really fun day!

Virginia said...

Oh, Ting, what a beautiful blog you wrote and had photographs of as well. I'm always so happy to see you and your Waybacks -- You've been with me since the beginning and your arrival every year signals that harvest has really begun -- Actually, in July when you first start asking me when harvest is scheduled for is my wake up call that I'd better write my "August" letter to the harvest volunteers and start thinking about all things harvest such as whether I'd better order another tank or two and that it's time to put up the critter netting. Thank you all for this year's help and all of the harvests you've helped with in the past !! ....til next year! Cheers !!!!

Ting said...

Virginia, you guys are doing a great job, keep up the good work!

Daniel Bryan said...

I think that I'm into your pieces of writing. I wait for your posts every week. I learn many new interesting things from the articles. The information is essential for me. I want to thank you for sharing hanks for the website article.Really thank you! Significantly obliged.
bulk trash removal